Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Over the last few months I have been disheartened by the church.  It began to feel like a social club.  Cliqueish. I started asking myself why do I or we go to church.  To see our friends? To catch up? To study God's word? To worship? Because he or she is there? Because it's what's expected? Why?  Why is it important to be "in" church.   I've learned the  answer....

Last week I made a choice while in Guatemala on mission.  I decided on Saturday the first day that I would learn everyone's name and something about them on our team.  By Sunday night I knew everyone and a little something about everyone.   I love people. I love getting to know people.  It was amazing learning about each person.

I learned that someone loved lipstick and flip flops.
I learned that someone had a major lost a week before they came.
I learned that someone was starting a new career.
I learned that someone was struggling with a loss.
I learned that someone was really funny!
I learned that someone  was caring.
I learned that someone had been married a month and a day.
I learned that someone was loving.


Learning and loving.   On a bus singing, praying, and riding through the mountains.  In a center loving on babies.  At a day care center for adults tossing a ball. .  Getting to know each other.  Loving those that need the most love together. Letting down walls.  Serving beside one other.  Changing diapers.  Listening.   Thinking of others before yourself.  Laying your heart out before new friends.

The church is not the building. It's the people.  It's being outside the four walls.  It's doing and being the church.  It's loving and listening.  It's service and serving.

So what about Sunday's?  Sunday's are for bringing the church together to renew, refresh, and recived to go back into the world and be the Church.

Go be the church!!!

No comments: